As we approach the 2023 NFL season, the spotlight is on the running backs. To provide a deeper insight into these athletes’ potential impact this season, NFL Network analyst and former NFL quarterback David Carr has ranked the top 10 running backs for NFL.com. Let’s delve into this list and analyze each player’s strengths and potential contributions.
Top 10 Running Backs for the 2023 NFL Season
- Christian McCaffrey, San Francisco 49ers: McCaffrey’s dynamic rushing, exceptional route-running skills, and impeccable pass-catching ability make him a triple threat and the top running back heading into the 2023 season.
- Saquon Barkley, New York Giants: Barkley’s rare combination of power and speed, along with his ability to catch balls out of the backfield, earns him the second spot on this list.
- Josh Jacobs, Las Vegas Raiders: Known for his ability to force missed tackles, Jacobs is a complete player at the position and ranks third.
- Derrick Henry, Tennessee Titans: Henry’s build and speed make him a formidable force on the field, earning him the fourth spot.
- Nick Chubb, Cleveland Browns: Chubb’s consistency and ability to maximize each play make him a valuable asset and the fifth-ranked running back.
- Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints: Kamara’s agility, athleticism, and vital role in the Saints’ offense earn him the sixth spot on this list.
- Austin Ekeler, Los Angeles Chargers: Ekeler’s solid running and elusive playmaking out of the backfield earn him the seventh spot.
- Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis Colts: Despite a drop in production in 2022, Taylor’s powerful running style and game-changing ability earn him the eighth spot.
- Travis Etienne, Jacksonville Jaguars: Etienne’s impressive sophomore campaign and versatile skill set place him in the ninth spot.
- Breece Hall, New York Jets: Despite his rookie season being cut short by injury, Hall’s elite explosiveness and potential star power earn him the tenth spot.
As we gear up for the 2023 NFL season, these top 10 running backs are set to make a significant impact on the field. Their unique skills, from explosive speed to elusive playmaking, will undoubtedly shape the dynamics of the games and potentially the season’s outcome.
However, it’s important to remember that the NFL is a league of unpredictability and constant change. Injuries, contract negotiations, and off-field issues can all impact a player’s performance and availability. Therefore, while these rankings provide a snapshot of the current landscape, the true test will come when these athletes take to the field.
As fans and analysts, we can look forward to another thrilling season of NFL football, where new stars may emerge, records could be broken, and these top running backs will strive to justify their rankings. The countdown to kickoff has begun, and anticipation is building for what promises to be another exciting chapter in NFL history.