This is a guide designed to help beginners understand the basic rules of NFL football. The game may seem confusing at first, but with a little practice you’ll be able to follow along just like everyone else in the stands.
There are three phases to football: offense, defense, and special teams. The offensive team tries to score points by running or passing the ball into the end zone. The defensive team tries to stop them and take the ball away. And special teams are responsible for kicking (or punting) the ball downfield, as well as tackling players who try to return kicks.
Each phase of the game has its own set of rules.
The basic goal of the offensive team is to score points by moving the ball down the field and into the end zone.
- The offense can move the ball forward in a number of ways, either by running with it or passing it.
- Only one player on the offense (the quarterback) is allowed to pass the ball.
- All other offensive players must either run with the ball or block for the quarterback.
Read more about offense football ->
The basic goal of the defensive team is to stop the offense from scoring by tackling the player with the ball.
- The defense can also score points by intercepting a pass or forcing a fumble (a dropped ball).
Read more about defense football ->
Special teams football
Special teams are responsible for kicking the ball downfield, as well as tackling players who try to return kicks.
- Kickers usually kick the ball from inside their own 30-yard line, and they try to kick it as far down the field as possible.
- Punters punt the ball when the offense is not able to gain any more yards, and they also try to kick it as far down the field as possible.
Returners are responsible for catching kicks and punts and then running them back up the field.
- They try to gain as many yards as possible before being tackled by the opposing team.
Read more about special teams football ->
What are the NFL footballs rules?
The basic rules of NFL football are that two teams of 11 players each compete to see who can score the most points by the end of the game. Points can be scored by either team through a number of ways, including touchdowns, field goals, and extra points.
How do teams score points in the NFL?
Teams score points in the NFL by either scoring a touchdown (worth six points), kicking a field goal (worth three points), or converting an extra point after a touchdown (worth one point).
What is a touchdown in the NFL?
A touchdown in the NFL is when a team scores a total of six points after successfully carrying or catching the ball into the end zone.
What is a field goal in the NFL?
A field goal in NFL football is when a team kicks the ball through the goal posts on the front of the end zone for three points. This can be done either by kicking the ball directly or by throwing it to a teammate who then kicks it.
What is the field of play in the NFL?
The field of play in the NFL is 100 yards long and 53.3 yards wide. The goalposts located in the back of each end zone are 10 feet high. How wide are NFL goal posts typically? They measure 18 feet six inches wide.
Read more about football fields here ->
How many football players on the field?
How long is an NFL game?
The length of an NFL game is 60 minutes, divided into four quarters of 15 minutes each.