As the Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans prepare to square off, fans have a lot to look forward to. These teams have spent two intense days practicing together under the relentless Texas sun. This is their third preseason meeting, with the series tied at one apiece. The spotlight shines on two former 49ers assistants, now turned head coaches: Mike McDaniel of the Dolphins and DeMeco Ryans of the Texans.
How to watch (TV and Stream)
- When: 4 p.m. ET
- TV: NFL Network, CBS 4 Miami, ABC 13 Houston
- Stream: NFL+, DAZN (International), MiamiDolphins.com and other platforms
Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins started the preseason on a low note with a loss to the Atlanta Falcons. McDaniel’s decision to sideline key players didn’t help their cause. Eyes are on Tua Tagovailoa, with fans eager to see more of him this preseason. However, recent injury scares, including one involving Terron Armstead, might impact McDaniel’s decision. Positions still up for grabs include left guard, starting safety alongside Jevon Holland, and the third cornerback.
Houston Texans: The Texans under the Nick Caserio era have shown promise. With a mix of seasoned players and exciting rookies, they are a team in transition. The additions of Robert Woods, Jimmie Ward, and Sheldon Rankins bolster their ranks. But fans are particularly eager to watch rookie QB C.J. Stroud, who is set to start this game, and EDGE Will Anderson Jr., both high-profile draft picks.
- Tua Tagovailoa threw 42% of his pass attempts 1-5 yards downfield in 2022 — ranking 31st of 33 QBs.
- Dameon Pierce averaged a mere 2.8 yards in the 4th quarter in 2022 — 34th of 35 running backs.
- Tyreek Hill, now with the Dolphins, was second-best in receiving yards per game in 2022.
- The Texans’ defense faced the least passing attempts in the league in 2022, tied at 46%.
- Texans’ RBs have struggled in the red zone since 2021, showcasing the league’s worst carries-per-TD rate.
Miami Dolphins Roster
- Tua Tagovailoa; Skylar Thompson; Mike White.
- De’Von Achane; Salvon Ahmed; Chris Brooks; Myles Gaskin; Alec Ingold; Raheem Mostert; Jeff Wilson Jr.
- Braxton Berrios; Robbie Chosen; Chris Coleman; Keke Coutee; River Cracraft; Daewood Davis; Erik Ezukanma; Tyreek Hill; Braylon Sanders; Jaylen Waddle; Cedrick Wilson Jr.
- Elijah Higgins; Julian Hill; Tyler Kroft; Eric Saubert; Durham Smythe.
- Terron Armstead; Geron Christian; Ryan Hayes; Austin Jackson; Kendall Lamm; Cedric Ogbuehi; Kion Smith; James Tunstall.
Interior Offensive Line
- Liam Eichenberg; Lester Cotton; Dan Feeney; Robert Hunt; Robert Jones; Connor Williams; Isaiah Wynn.
- Josiah Bronson; Randy Charlton; Raekwon Davis; Da’Shawn Hand; Emmanuel Ogbah; Brandon Pili; Zach Sieler; Jaylen Twyman; Christian Wilkins.
- Mitchell Agude; Jerome Baker; Bradley Chubb; Cameron Goode; David Long Jr.; Aubrey Miller II; Garrett Nelson; Jaelan Phillips; Malik Reed; Duke Riley; Mike Rose; Channing Tindall; Andrew Van Ginkel.
- Eli Apple; Justin Bethel; Ethan Bonner; Tino Ellis; Xavien Howard; Noah Igbinoghene; Kader Kohou; Parry Nickerson; Jalen Ramsey; Cam Smith; Bryce Thompson; Trill Williams.
- Elijah Campbell; Keion Crossen; Myles Dorn; DeShon Elliott; Jevon Holland; Brandon Jones; Verone McKinley III; Jamal Perry; Keidron Smith.
- Jake Bailey; Blake Ferguson; Jason Sanders.
Houston Texans Roster
- Case Keenum; Davis Mills; E.J. Perry; C.J. Stroud.
- Andrew Beck; Mike Boone; Gerrid Doaks; Dare Ogunbowale; Dameon Pierce; Devin Singletary.
- Alex Bachman; Noah Brown; Jalen Camp; Nico Collins; Tank Dell; Adam Humphries; Xavier Hutchinson; Johnny Johnson III; John Metchie III; Steven Sims; Jared Wayne; Robert Woods.
- Brevin Jordan; Dalton Keene; Jordan Murray; Teagan Quitoriano; Mason Schreck; Dalton Schultz; Eric Tomlinson; Nick Vannett.
- Jacky Chen; Rashaad Coward; Austin Deculus; George Fant; Tytus Howard; Laremy Tunsil; Kilian Zierer.
Interior Offensive Line
- Tyler Beach; Kenyon Green; Shaq Mason; Jimmy Morrissey; Michael Deiter; Jarrett Patterson; Juice Scruggs; Keaton Sutherland.
- Will Anderson Jr.; Thomas Booker IV; Maliek Collins; Byron Cowart; Khalil Davis; Ali Gaye; Jonathan Greenard; Kurt Hinish; Dylan Horton; Jerry Hughes; Roy Lopez; Jacob Martin; Adedayo Odeleye; Sheldon Rankins; Hassan Ridgeway; Derek Rivers; Chase Winovich.
- Blake Cashman; Jake Hansen; Christian Harris; Neville Hewitt; Christian Kirksey; Cory Littleton; Denzel Perryman; Henry To’oTo’o; Garret Wallow.
- Cobi Francis; Shaquill Griffin; Ka’dar Hollman; Desmond King II; Steven Nelson; Darius Phillips; D’Angelo Ross; Derek Stingley Jr.; Tavierre Thomas.
- Grayland Arnold; Tyree Gillespie; Brandon Hill; Eric Murray; Jalen Pitre; M.J. Stewart; Jimmie Ward.
- Ka’imi Fairbairn; Cameron Johnston; Jon Weeks.
Prediction & odds
- Spread: Dolphins +2 (Odds -110)
- Total: U38.5 (Odds -110)
Miami Dolphins vs. Houston Texans
As both teams continue to shape their rosters and build chemistry, this game promises to be more than just a preseason matchup. The sidelines will be buzzing, with coaches making crucial decisions that could influence the regular season. So, buckle up for what promises to be a thrilling contest between the Dolphins and Texans!